#37: Robert Glazer, Founder and CEO of Acceleration Partners — the importance of values and purpose, how to build your team's capacity, and why you should start your ideas even if they aren't ready
Robert Glazer is the Founder and Chairman of the Board of global partner marketing agency, Acceleration Partners. He is also the co-founder and Chairman of BrandCycle. A serial entrepreneur, Bob has a passion for helping individuals and organizations build their capacity to elevate.
This conversation has a large focus on values! We take a deep dive into the importance of values and purpose, how to define our own purpose, and through that process learn how to lead a company. We also talk through key insights from his brand new book, Elevate Your Team, including a framework for building your team’s capacity from virtually every angle.
Let’s tap into some of his wisdom.
Love the show? Subscribe, Rate, Review, Like, and Share!
Key highlights in the episode:
- His company, Acceleration Partners (02:53)
- How Robert ended up building an email list, writing blogs, writing books, podcasting, and how he fits it all together (06:14)
- Why clarifying values and purpose is important to you and your company (13:53)
- Activities and exercises to help you clarify your core values (18:27)
- What prompted Robert to clarify his company’s culture to take into account the importance of values? (21:38)
- A scenario where he had to make a hard decision in a situation that didn’t align with his values and the company’s values (27:15)
- Why he decided to step down as CEO to become an Executive Chairman and what the transitioning process looked like (29:00)
- His book; Elevate Your Team: Empower Your Team To Reach Their Full Potential and Build A Business That Builds Leaders (36:00)
- What is capacity? (36:20)
- The capacity building road map (37:18)
- Robert’s framework for building team capacity and the different categories of capacity (40:17)
- How Robert has evolved as a leader (47:47)
- His experience with the impostor syndrome and how he deals with it (49:06)
- What Robert wishes he had known earlier on his journey (52:10)
- His advice for other founders as they embark on their journey to grow into leaders (53:37)
- “I have started a tonne of things that have failed, but I have never been successful in anything I didn’t start.” (10:44)
- “If you add value to people, it comes back to you.” (12:29)
- “Purpose is like the overarching roof that sits on values, so it’s hard to get your purpose right if you don’t know the pillars of it.” (13:56)
- ” If you are accountable, you can have flexibility.” (22:06)
- “People react to change pretty well if it is not all at once.” (31:39)
Don’t forget to Subscribe, Rate, Review, Like, and Share!
- Elevate Your Team: Empower Your Team To Reach Their Full Potential and Build A Business That Builds Leaders: https://bit.ly/40IzbmJ
- Friday Forward: Inspiration & Motivation to End Your Week Stronger Than It Started (Ignite Reads): https://bit.ly/3JUU732
- How to Make Virtual Teams Work: Manage and Empower a Virtual Team That Thrives While Working from Home: http://bit.ly/3zfp5hw
Connect with Robert!
Follow Robert Glazer on:
- Website (Company): https://www.accelerationpartners.com/
- Website (Personal): https://robertglazer.com/
- Podcast: https://robertglazer.com/elevate-podcasts/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/glazer/
Connect with Alisa!
Follow Alisa Cohn on
- Instagram: @alisacohn
- Twitter: @alisacohn
- Facebook: facebook.com/alisa.cohn
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alisacohn/
- Website: http://www.alisacohn.com
Grab a copy of From Start-Up to Grown-Up by Alisa Cohn from Amazon
To stay up to date on future episodes and learn more from Alisa, sign up for her newsletter.
If you like what you hear, please subscribe to the podcast!